One of the most common objections portraits photographers hear on the daily is "I don't like photos of myself" and "what am I going to do with all of these photos"? As a result people avoid being photographed or opt to taking selfies on their cellphone, which often don't do justice to their actual appearance - mostly due to camera distortion or poor lighting.
I get it, we all know how to find flaws in ourselves and wish we looked like so and so (insert name of a celebrity). But I am here to tell you that everyone can look amazing in their portraits and here's why they're important.
1. Document your life. Ideally it's good to have your portrait taken when you're turning 16, when you go to a prom, when you start a new job, when you're getting married, when you are expecting your first child, when you become a mom or dad... etc, etc.. or for absolutely no reason - simply because you feel good about yourself. I believe everyone has a story worth hearing and everyone deserves to be captured and seen.
2. Reliving memories. You can celebrate achievements, relationships and events by booking a photoshoot. No matter how much time might pass after, there's no better way to look back and reminisce about it, than by looking at old photographs and remember how you felt during that time.
3. To get a boost of confidence. I find it even more important to be photographed when we start questioning our self-worth. A good photographer will be able to capture your beauty, help you see yourself with fresh eyes and gain your confidence back. Trust me, 5 years from now you'll want to look the way you look today, so why wait?
4. Portraits are a legacy. When we're no longer here our portraits will mean a lot to our loved ones. So consider having a photoshoot with your children, partners or parents... because one day they will look for photos of you and they will mean the world to them.
5. Elevate your business. Although this reason is not as sentimental as all of the above, it is still very important to have a good personal portrait in the times of digital era. In a crowded market, you want to stand out. A high-quality portrait it will instantly put you at an advantage over those who used a cellphone snap or an outdated cheesy portrait.
There's a lot to consider when you're choosing a photographer you can trust to capture you and your family. I'll talk about this next time. Thank you for reading.
A portrait photographer, based in K-W. Beauty, Branding, Boudoir and beyond.